Monday, September 19, 2016

Week 16

Last week Makayla mentioned walking in her area up hills and it occurred to me that her feet may be wearing and wondered how they were doing?
Hello!
My feet are doing well.  I never thought that I would think much about nail polish on the mission, but I am finding that it is a great, and cute protector.  My feet don´t hurt or anything, they are just always super duper dirty!  But that´s life here.  I don´t really need anything specific.   We asked how breakfasts were...a banana smoothie, and a grilled ham and cheese sandwich, haha.


One difficulty here, is that people most people don´t have cars, or much money for the bus (it´s quite expensive for a family).  For some members, I think the walking distance is like an hour in the sun.  Thankfully, the chapel has air-conditioning!  

Speaking of air-conditioning ... in our house we have a little air-conditioner and fan in our bedroom.  I was minding my own business this week, when the little power/switch box on the wall started shooting sparks.  There was all this smoke and everything.  So we lost our power for 3 days.  When it happened, we went and told the family below us, who own our house.  They were truly wonderful and helped us out in so many ways.  I think he may have basically rewired our house himself.  They even let us sleep in one of their rooms with air-conditioning (we had permission from the mission president), because I don´t think we would get much sleep without it.  


We had a fun little service project this week helping the bishop´s wife set up Tiago´s birthday party.  They are kind of like our second family away from home (actually we have various families aways from home).  Remember those candies at Brook´s wedding - Brigadeiros?  Super good!  Brook & Bruno Silva...I don't know how she remembers! 
"There is a great Brazilian sweet that is like a bonbon and extremely scrumptious and delicious called brigadeiro! This is a great type of sweet that is loved here in Brazil!



We also had the baptism of Andreu!  He was actually the first investigator that I saw.  When we were arriving late at night, he was in the street and I thought he looked pretty shady, haha.  I remember him cracking up at my Portuguese when I was trying to bare my testimony.  But, it was great, especially because it brought his family to church. 

We also had a wonderful time at the temple!  I truly felt the love of God so strongly.  There are so many things that I want to improve in my life, yet when I am in the temple I know first and foremost that He is my Father and that He loves me.  I know this to be true for all of us, no matter the weakness and mistakes in our lives.  I know that our Savior lives and that is the greatest message of all. 



   
And I bought this wonderful CD, and tiny Book of Mormon to carry around during the day.  




I noticed in a picture Makayla sent last week she was wearing a skirt that I didn't recognize...
This really cute, animated lady who likes to praise Jesus in every conversation gave me the red skirt.  Her name is Maria do Carme, and she lives in what looks like a fisherman´s shack.  It´s pretty cool.  

How is the teaching going?
Also, to answer your question, teaching is going well.  I am learning the lessons, and finding more ways to speak from the heart :)

Love you lots, have a wonderful week!
Love Makayla



No comments:

Post a Comment