Saturday, February 18, 2017

Week 37

February 13, 2017

I have always respected missionaries but wasn't sure what to say or how to approach them.  Now having one myself and so many dear friends in our ward serving I feel I understand them better and apprieciate their service so much more.  I also find myself eager to say hello and ask how they are doing.  
I totally know what you mean about being afraid of the missionaries.  But like you said, now I have a whole new perspective.  Members are everything!  It means the world to know them personally, to know that they like/love you (ha-ha), to know that they have got your back, and to visit and be with them.  

We have another good friend who is preparing to leave on a mission soon.  We have discussed what are the best type of shoes?  Makayla had some thoughts...
Shoes:
Does she get a bike or a car, or will she be walking the whole time?  Remind me where she is going exactly.  For me, my Chacos have saved my life!  Honestly, you can buy other shoes,once on your mission but it might be a bit of a pain.  If she spends a good amount of money or not, either way she will be fine :)  Honestly, a mission is difficult to prepare for because they are all unique, but you just adapt with what you have.  So tell her not to worry very much.  

Happy Valentines Day!
You sent me a valentine!  Oh that makes me so happy and excited!!! Happy Valentines Day to you too.  Once again, this holiday and its traditions do not exist here.  Yet, I want to say that I love you so very much!!!  It means the world to me to know that you have got my back, and are happy with my efforts in all that I do.  Your testimony and faithful efforts in living the gospel, and acquiring spiritual knowledge continually give me a lot of strength too.  Thank you for being a great example: of the kind of mom and friend that I want to be one day.  I love you mom with all my heart, and thank Heavenly Father for you everyday!  

An opportunity came along through a friend of a friend who was returning home to Manaus!  She was willing to deliver a package to the mission home!  I wasn't sure Makayla would need anything, she always says she is fine and can get everything there.  Guess she found some things :)
Hmmm ... what do I need? Kraft Mac and Cheese, pancake mix, and brownie mix.  Echinacea.  Peanut Butter (if there is room)!  Mascara and eyeliner (because it is expensive here).  Pepto tablets.  Bug spray (“Off” please).  And anything else that you are inspired to send me.  Oh, tell Leslie and Dave that I am still awaiting their one letter (they can stick it in the package), ha-ha.  I want them to tell me how they are doing and what´s new.  Tell them that I miss them, and thank you, thank you, thank you, to their friends.  



Having trouble downloading pictures at the public facilities...taking a very long time.  
Pictures ... We´ve been so busy that we haven´t had the time to go to Irmão Miguel´s house on P-day to send them from his computer.  Hopefully next week! 

A surprise trip...Makayla is currently 4 1/2 hours away from Manaus.  To travel back and forth requires a bus ride on some bumpy roads.  I am impressed with her growing ability. 
This week was a little crazy!  We got put into a trio (did I already tell you that?)  So now we have to be a little more particular and creative with our time, caring for two areas and all.  I was working with Sister Valadares Tuesday, when we got a call from one of the elders in the mission office.  He asked if I was far away from home (and we were), because I needed to pack some things and go to Manaus right away (the bus was leaving at 4:00) to get my "CPF" (which is like identification).  So we ran all the way home, I threw some things together, and went all the way to Manaus alone.  Yes, alone.  It is a little intimidating arriving somewhere without a cell phone, and only hoping that someone will come for you.  I remembered “The Other Side of Heaven”, ha-ha. A true story/movie about a missionary sent to Tonga in the 1950's, one of our favorites! Yet, all went really well.  I stayed with some other sisters, and they were so sweet and welcoming.  Overall it was a fast and smooth trip.  
I wasn´t actually able to work in our area this week, but it looks like our investigators are doing fine.  Hopefully we can have some really good visits this week.  

One other thing is that we have interviews with President Castro this week and two girls from another small city (they will come by boat) will be staying with us.  We think they have pre-mission interviews with President Castro (because they don´t have a stake president).  

I hope you all have a wonderful week!  Remember how wonderful you are, beloved children of God!  There is nothing you can´t do with Him at your side.  

Love, Makayla.  

No comments:

Post a Comment